Tuesday 6 May 2008

About Me

Hi I am Mark Mearing-Smith, 2nd Year Mechanical Engineering. I am currently Council Chair, Treasurer of the Snowsports Club, Secretary of the Conservative Society and Spanner Bearer for CGCU.

My interests are: the piano (badly), reading trashy fiction, an appalling interest in music ranging from Club music through to experimental jazz and back to baroque church. I also enjoy watching rowing.


I come from Esher in Surrey, but went to a military college (Pangbourne College) near Reading, Berkshire.

At school I was a rower, competing in the 1st boat at Henley Royal Regatta, reaching the Semi-Finals in L6th then the quarter-finals in my final year. I was also captain of boats in my final year.

I was also heavily involved with the CCF (Combined Cadet Force), were as a school we where lucky enough to have a Royal Marines section which only 17 other schools where allowed. In the CCF I was promoted right up to the top to Colour Sergent and become Detachment head.

To fill up my spare time I played music, piano, percussion, bassoon and singing. Which meant I was in all the music groups like Choir (Chair Captain in my last year), marching band, orchestra, etc.

In my gap year I worked for a computer software company. As that this was my first job and I was living away from home for the first time it was quite challenging. After 11 months there I traveled around India for a month, which seeing my mothers birth place for the first time in Mumbai/Bombay (as she knows it) made me fall in love with the country.

In my first term at Imperial I rowed. Which if you know any rowers took up nearly all of my time. Sadly university rowing was not for me, so in the second term I skied with the snowsports club.

This year I have still been involved with the snowsports club, while also playing rugby. Annoyingly I injured my back, so I will not be able to play any more.

Links for me.

Facebook Profile. and Facebook Group


No comments: